Welcome to the tru earth laundry strip review.
TruEarth is having a massive sale across their website for the next 3 days, so hurry up. They sell more than just the best eco laundry strips the world has seen;)TruEarth Earth Day Sale! Up to 36% off Products!
Help keep 7.000.000.000 plastic laundry detergent bottles out of landfills. Yep, this is not a typo.
When we first heard about a Canadian company making eco-friendly laundry strips, we wanted to know more.
It sounded too good to be tru (pun intended). As a result, we ordered our first packs of tru earth laundry detergent strips and never looked back.
This is just so ingenious.
Millions of detergent bottles are produced each year and end up in landfills. Only 9% of the stuff that we think is getting recycled actually gets recycled. I know it is a sad truth, but we need to look the devil in the eye and face the truth before it is too late.
If you are more the skeptical kind of person, then we can assure you, your skepticism isn’t met with the tru earth eco strips. For the most part, our washing detergent is made of water. Similar to shampoo.
Related: Shampoo bars
Where are tru earth laundry strips made?
Tru earth is produced in Canada, New Foundland and stored in BC.
The Tru Earth laundry strips brand was founded by 3 gentlemen who realized the need for innovation and rethinking products that harm the planet. One of the founders Interviews here.
Realized that beaches and oceans are littered with plastic waste and if we want our children to somehow live in a “normal” world that is plastic less. Something had to happen. I purposely wrote plastic less because free is not going to happen anymore.😒
From there, the tru earth laundry strips are distributed all over the world. They come in an envelope size straight to your home without any plastic packaging.
How much do they cost?
The best part is a subscription-based product, and since we all need to do our washing, it is very convenient when they arrive in the mail every other month. Plus, they only cost CAD 19.95 for 32 loads, which is the same amount of washes you get out of a standard jug without the extra waste.
Does it actually clean your clothes?
We have tested them on a very old washing machine and with our reusable diapers, and they work just as good as any other detergent. We have also used them in a modern bosch washing machine and again they work excellent. I have had some clothes from a camping weekend with mud and all sorts of stains on there, and they come out perfectly clean and with a nice smell. We prefer the ordered once, but you can get them in 3 different kinds.
The best part is not only are you being gentle on the environment and help to reduce the amount of plastic thrown out to landfills. They are also super easy to use. Just pull out a stripe and out it in your washing machine.
How are tru earth laundry strips made?
Most popular detergent brands still test their products on animals, making them neither cruelty-free nor vegan.
Here is a list of the ingredients that I have found on Tru Earth website:
- Vegetable Glycerin: plant-derived softener
- Starch: plant-derived biodegradability booster
- PVA: biodegradable supporting matrix
- Potassium Sorbate: Food grade preservative
- Light Mineral Oil: Used in manufacturing as a processing aid. (not an active product ingredient)
- Cocamido propyl betaine: coconut oil based, biodegradable amphoteric surfactant (cleaning agent) and foam booster
- Sodium Gluconate: plant-derived and food-grade, biodegradable water softener that prevents soil from resettling on fabric after it has been removed during washing
- Lauryl dimethyl amine oxide: plant-derived, biodegradable non-ionic surfactant (cleaning agent) and foam stabilizer
- Sulfonic acids, C14-16-alkane hydroxy and C14-16-alkene, sodium salts: biodegradable surfactant (cleaning agent)
- Glycereth cocoate: plant derived and food grade, biodegradable water softener
- Caprylyl Glucoside, Octyl Glucoside: non-ionic surfactants (cleaning agents)
- Fragrance oil blend (not used in Fragrance Free): natural essential oils and synthetic ingredients
- Residual Water
- Tru Earth Eco-Strips are palm oil free & gluten free
Another pro for the tru earth laundry strips is that they are vegan. Yes, this may seem strange, but most washing detergents have some form of animal product in them.
For example, here’s what Tide says about animal testing on their website:
This final formula has not been tested on animals and we do not test on animals unless required by law. P&G continues to develop non-animal alternative tests and work with regulators around the world to ultimately end research involving animals.
In other words, they do test on animals if they can make a profit out of it.
- Free of added dyes
- Free of chlorine bleach
- Free of 1,4-dioxane, as certified by independent laboratory tests
- Readily biodegradable in accordance with OECD 310D
- Hypoallergenic, certified by independent dermatologists
- Vegan: no animal-based ingredients or testing on animals by us or our ingredient suppliers
Is Tru Earth cruelty-free?
Not only are Tru Earth Eco-Strips incredibly convenient, but we also pride ourselves on safety and health. Tru Earth Eco-Strips are hypoallergenic, vegan friendly, and Paraben-free and are gentle enough for even the most sensitive skin. … Vegan: no animal-based ingredients or testing on animals by us or our ingredient suppliers.
Which type of washers can you use?
The tru earth laundry detergent works well in any kind of washing machine.
For the Toploader; simply throw in your detergent stripe after you have filled it up with your dirty laundry.
For the Frontloader; simply put a stripe of tru earth laundry detergent into the standard detergent compartment and start your machine. It is really that easy sometimes to be a zero waste man/woman.
Can you leave out the softener?
Personally, I have never used softener because I was fortunate enough to have good quality water so that I never felt the need to add softener.
I guess this is more a personal choice but from my experience, it has been totally fine.
Where to buy Tru earth laundry strips:
Thank you for taking the time to read through my tru earth laundry strip review. I hope you learned something new and feel like you can make a difference by taking simple steps like changing your washing behavior.